Monday, September 19, 2005

They're At It Again

This morning I arrived at work and the "religious" lady handed me a few papers for me to read.
They consisted of a letter from a County Commissioner to the lady's church Pastor and two copies of a ballot to fill out and sign.

The letter complains about the Board being under attack by media and other groups seeking to promote a radical gay and lesbian agenda, after the Board approved a policy to abstain from acknowledging, promoting and participationg in Gay Pride recognitions and events. It goes on to say that these groups are working to change Florida's Adoption Laws so that it would be easier for gay couples to adopt children, and of course, this guy is against it.

What disturbs me the most about this letter, though, is the way in which Michael Swift was quoted. I knew nothing of Michael Smith, I knew nothing of what he wrote, but reading what the Commissioner quoted him as writing didn't sit right with me, so I did a little research.

This is how the Commissioner quoted him:

"...We shall sodomize your sons... Your sons shall become our minions and do our bidding. They will be recast in our image. They will come to crave and adore us... All laws banning homosexual activity will be revoked. Instead, legislation shall be passed which engenders love between men... The family unit-spawning ground of lies, betrayals, mediocrity, hypocrisy and violence--will be abolished. The family unit, which only dampens imagination and curbs free will, must be eliminated... All churches who condemn us will be closed. Our only gods are handsome young men..." - Gay Community News, 1987

This is what Michael Swift really wrote - the message being a far cry from what this Commissioner intended to convey.

I wonder if "religious" lady's Pastor did the same research (NOT!).

Makes me sick. Bleah.

So, the ballot is for the Florida Marriage Protection Amendment - Ballot Summary: "...Protects marriage as the legal union of only one man and one woman as husband and wife and provides that no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the subastntial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized."

There's even a website for this - florida4marriage.org

Hate mongers. Just another example of why religion and politics don't mix.

I told "religious" lady (after an all-morning deliberation on whether I should confront her or not) that the guy lied just to get the congregations riled up and vote. She didn't get it. I figured as much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home