Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Let's play Dodgeball!

Well, now that we can breathe a little easier with regard to Ivan, I have begun to put a little more effort into the job search.

At the advice of Charlene, I've enlisted a couple of job placement agencies again, along with applying for jobs online. One place set up an interview with a prospective employer, and I'm having second thoughts. It's a temp-to-perm position and pays only a dollar more an hour than what I'm getting now. This is a little frustrating to me, as I should have told the placement guy that I'm NOT interested. I always seem a little slow on the up-take, or not as assertive as I should be. What bothers me even more is that I told him what I wanted, and it looks as if he didn't hear me, or doesn't give a crap; he's working for the "employer". So, I put a call in to the agency to tell them I'm having second thoughts. I really don't want to waste my time (and lose money by taking time off work) on something that I'm not interested in.

The "degree" thing, or lack thereof, REALLY bugs me. Employers just can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that accounting degrees aren't necessarily the end-all-be-all when it comes to knowledge. Maybe I have to be even MORE assertive in the interviews, and bring home the idea thet I have the knowledge!

Then comes the big question -- do I really want to continue to persue a career in Accounting? Seems like I get nowhere. Maybe it's because it doesn't bring me warm fuzzies like it used to. I REALLY get warm fuzzies when I "Carry the Message", but I know it would lose its impact if I did it for a living. I would like to get into the alternative health field, but that takes schoolin' too. Sheesh! Maybe I could be an apprentice, or something...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home